Sunday, March 21, 2010

Snow in South Texas on 1st Day of Spring

I have mentioned several places that since Aug 15, 2009, I have had north winds on my ranch every weekend save two. This is highly unusual for a ranch this far south. This weekend was no exception.

Due to family circumstances I was unable to go to my ranch this weekend until today. I needed to mow. I got up early and drove the couple of hours to the ranch. Just as I was pulling into Crockett, I noticed something in my headlights. It looked like snow. By the time I had gone another 7 miles to the ranch, the snow was heavy, the roof tops were white and covered. It snowed all morning with some cover on the ground. I found myself mowing while it was snowing. I guess all in all we had about 1/3" of global warming up there today.

Yes, this is weather and not climate, but to have such weather for more than 7 months now, where the winds blow from the north, you lakes freeze for the first time since 1986, and a record low temperature for the area was set, it is clear that this isn't a normal winter.

1 comment:

  1. When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
    Though your nose gets a chilling
    We'll frolic and play,
    the Eskimo way,
    walking in a winter wonderland.



    Hottest spring on record, the warmists will say...

    ReplyDelete