Saturday, January 9, 2010

One Heck of a Cold Snap

I have a ranch in South Texas. I just got back from it, feeling the need to go and see what, if any, damage the current frigid temperatures might have done to the house. The hoar-frost was beautiful--unfortunately, my wife had my camera so I have no pictures. The interestig thing to me was that my chicken yard water pond was frozen over, almost to the point where it could support my weight. I walked down to the big ponds on the place. The 3/4 acre pond was frozen solid as was the 2 acre lake. I told my neighbors that I was surprised that the lakes were frozen. Their's were as well. They told me that this was the first time the lakes have frozen since 1986. The temperature last night was 20 deg F--in South Texas.

Just for comparison, in 1986 there was 344 parts per million CO2 in the atmosphere compared with 370 today. I wish CO2 would start working and move the record low temperature occurraes upwards so we won't have any more such cold days. After 4 hours in the cold at the ranch, I decided to call it a short day and come back to Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment