Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Climatologists and Swiss Bank Accounts

I ran into the following email from the CRU hacked emails which seems to violate the spirit of Russian tax collection. In an email allegedly from Stepan Shiyatov written on Tatiana M. Dedkova's email account to K. Briffa, money was sought for funding the Yamal tree ring project. But interestingly Stepan was asking that the money be put into his personal account. That sounds very Bernie Madoffish. It seems odd to me that Stepan was writing on Tatiana's email account asking for money to be put into personal accounts. If this was done, does this constitute malfeaseance?

Also, it is important for us if you can transfer the ADVANCE money on the personal accounts which we gave you earlier and the sum for one occasion transfer (for example, during one day) will not be more than 10,000 USD. Only in this case we can avoid big taxes and use money for our work as much as possible. Please, inform us what kind of documents and financial reports we must
represent you and your administration for these money.

source

Was the money sent? I don't know. Two years later was an email which has an email allegedly from K. Briffa to an evag@ address saying that he had said that Stepan was getting $5000 to a Swiss account. Interesting that a Russian climatologist should be getting money sent to a Swiss bank account.

From: Keith Briffa
To: evag@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: transfer
Date: Wed Nov 18 11:04:42 1998
Cc: stepan@xxxxxxxxx.xxx

Eugene
I am told that the money transfer ( 5000 u.s. dollars) should have gone to the bank account you stated. Please let me know if this is received by you. I now also have the contract signed by INTAS and we must organise future work and I will talk to Fritz about us visiting Ekaterinburg next year. In the meantime I wish you and Stepan to organise major review papers of the Yamal and Taimyr long chronology staus for inclusion in the Holocene ADVANCE-10K Special Issue. These need to be completed by June at the latest . They will each be 10-12 pages of print. I can suggest content, do some analyses and help with editing these . I am also sending Stepan's 5000 dollars to Switzerland now to be carried back by his colleague. I have yet to sort out how claims on the INTAS money will be handled. Have you received the details of the final contract?
best wishes
Keith
here

Edited to add 8 hours after I posted the above: I decided to change the title from "Climatologists avoid taxation" to "Climatologists and Swiss Bank Accounts". I figure that will get a bit more notice. I am appalled by the lack of fiscal checks and balances seen in the above. I once managed a $24 million dollar seismic purchasing budget. Not one single dime of money saw the inside of someone's personal bank account nor did a single dime go to a Swiss bank account for carring back to some other country by a third party.

Once money goes inside a personal bank account the audit trail stops. How much of that money actually was used for the research? How much went to the carrier? All these questions must now be asked. I don't know if there are laws broken here but it sure sounds like bad fiscal control.

2 comments:

  1. " I'm gonna tell you something. Somebody messes with me, I'm gonna mess with with him. Somebody steals from me, I'm gonna say you stole. Not talk to him for spitting on the sidewalk. Understand?
    Now, I have done nothing to harm these people but they are angered with me, so what do they do, doctor up some income tax, for which they have no case. To speak to me, come to me like men, no, to harass a peaceful man. I pray to god if I ever had a grievance I'd have a little more self respect.
    One more thing, you have an all out prize fight, you wait until the fight is over, one guy is left standing. And that's how you know who won.
    "

    - Keith Briffa


    that may not be exactly what he said word for word, but it has the feeling and tone.

    Fake but accurate. Like his career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many merchant accounts that are suitable to your business. I am running an adult websites and from long time I am looking for best provider who provide me high risk merchant account.

    ReplyDelete